I lived eighteen years without ever trying a Twinkie. That was, until I saw these cupcakes floating around the Internet and decided they were perfect for my friend Ashley's birthday.
Just kidding, I didn't even try one when I made these...I actually just went to my pantry right now and ate half a leftover Twinkie for the sake of legitimacy. Don't think I'm a fan, but if you love them I will not judge you.
Regardless of your feelings toward Twinkies, you have to admit these cupcakes are pretty cute and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a teeeny bit proud of them.
They're fairly easy too! You can watch this video tutorial or follow these simple steps:
- Make your favorite cupcakes
- Frost them with your favorite frosting, dyed blue with food coloring
- Take your Twinkies and cut them in half
- Use black frosting to draw goggles and a face
- Press on two white Smarties for eyes and use the black frosting to draw pupils
- Stick in a few brown or black sprinkles for hair
- Attach minion to the cupcake!
And here are my tips and tricks for achieving minion perfection:
- Use blue cupcake liners if you want to match the minion's overalls
- Heap on agenerous dollop of frosting so the Twinkies stay in place. Mine kind of dried out so I put a thin outline of frosting "glue" around them. In terms of aesthetics, my frosting job was regrettable but at least the minions stayed put.
- Develop a love of Smarties candy. I could only find a huge pack and just needed a few of the white ones for the eyes, so now I have at least 50 rolls of Smarties sitting around. If anyone from school who likes Smarties is reading this, please comment below...
- Listen to this songfor inspiration
By the end I took a step back and realized I had raised up an army of minions...it was a powerful feeling.
Not sure if that's weird or not, but either way I recommend making these cupcakes for the Despicable Me lover in your life!